Make a Mom Time Capsule for Your Kids
Mom Time Capsule huh? Without a shadow of a doubt, I do a lot of activities with and for my kids. And well one of the greatest things you can do for your kids is to create memories. When you spend time with them, do fun things with them, or take them to places, you build these memories together as a family. There are also many memories you will have as a mom that your child may not even be old enough to remember. Most kids love hearing these stories about themselves.
One way to preserve those memories for your children is to create a time capsule full of mom memories and give it to your child when she is older (possibly at Sweet 16, or when he turns 18). Here’s how to do it:
- Choose something to be your time capsule. A large jar or a box work best but some people might go even bigger with a chest or trunk of some type. It all depends on what kinds of things and how many things you plan to put in it. If you want to get really fancy, you can grab one of these time capsules.
- Write a letter on the day you create it explaining what it is and also telling the date. Tell your child why you are deciding to create this time capsule to share all of your Mom memories with them when they are older.
- Gather items you want to place in the time capsule. You can add to it over time but you might want to include some items from when he was a baby like his hospital ID band or a personalized baby bib.
- In addition to items, you should take or gather photos for your child. You might use photos of the both of you together, photos of her as a baby, photos of grandparents holding her, etc. Birth photos, hospital photos and first day home photos are also a good addition.
- Some moms also like to keep a special journal that they can use to log day to day experiences about their child and he is growing up. You can write to him every day like a diary and talk about the things he did that day, or how you feel about being his mom. These memories will be great to have years down the road.
Once you have gathered all of your items and memories, as well as the item you will use as your time capsule, you just need to assemble it. If you’ve decided at what date you will present the time capsule, you can also write a note about this inside. Your mom capsule will include special things about how you feel about your child and the memories you are making together. It will be an item they will treasure forever.